A dramatic title for a dramatic battle… well, alright, it wasn’t very dramatic, though I was cycling for part of the time and my heart was a-pumping!
We sold our car a couple of weeks ago – we needed the cash and, because all we really used the car for was a twice weekly trip to Tesco, it wasn’t really worth the £85 a month on petrol and inurance. So that we could still get around, though, we bought me a bike which came at the start of last week.
…Paul’s already got a bike, I’m not giving him seaters 🙂
After assembly, which was a joy of confusion for two normally techie-minded people, I took the bike for a ride round the park and for a giggle set Sports Tracker running. At the end of a 45min ride I’d burnt an estimate 530kCal, about a 100kCal more than my last 45min Podrunner session (25mins running, 20mins walking). This got me to wondering which was truly best, running or cycling?
I only really run or cycle for the calorie burn and to exercise my heart. I know the calorie count is only an estimate and that, mile on mile, running burns more calories… but there are a few key facts that came into the Battle. I shall even number them (gasp!).
- Minute on minute, I can burn more calories by cycling.
- My thighs feel like steel (well, almost… well, compared to when I run, ok?).
- My whole legs and butt get a workout to supplement the slightly upper-body-heavy weights workout that I do.
- My aerobic fitness is such that, autumnal rains permitting, I could easily cycle five days a week and still do my weights workout, rather than struggle to run and workout as much as I’d like.
- Cycling is much more fun than running. Way more fun!
- I sometimes have a bad night’s sleep; difficulty dropping off, waking up from nightmares or having night terrors. I’ve slept like a baby on the night of each bike ride so far.
- I’ll be going for bike rides with my partner – quality, fun, outdoors fun!
- I don’t get saddly sore, now, after my third ride!
As I’m only really using cycling for aerobic fitness and fat loss (the demands from cycling on my legs will quickly plateau as far as muscular development goes), I need an aerobic activity that lets me do as many weights workouts as I want. That’s only three full body workotus a week, but doing that with running is a huge demand, and almost impossible at my current level of fitness, especially as I’m trying to progress with heavier weights.
So, my part in the Battle of the Calorie Burning Behemoths is over – and the results are an astonishing no-brainer as far as my needs are concerned. My last cycle was for 45mins and I covered nearly 7miles, burning nearly 800kCal. Again, that calorie figure is only rough, but that’s almost twice as many calories as running in the same 45min time.
Cycling wins hands down.